Monday, January 11, 2010

7 weeks: Welcome to The Bloat

And yes, that is bloat with a capital B.

That bad.

Really.

Oh, bloating. Such an annoying, uncomfortable, frustrating symptom of early pregnancy. In theory it's due to the hormones coursing through my body at breakneck speed, and happening to affect the digestive system in a manner that slows everything down. Whatever.

I always get bloated in early pregnancy. And every time it happens I have a momentary panic. "Am I really going to start showing this early?!" "Is the number of babies I've had in close succession finally catching up with me?" "Are my pants really getting snug already?!"

Well, yes and no. Yes, the pants are snug, but no it's not because I'm actually growing already (THANK GOODNESS!). And heck no, I'm not going to let the number of babies I've birthed catch up to me!
(Yes, I'm one of "those" people. Get over it.)

All of you cute pregnant ladies who think you are showing at 5, 6, 7 weeks... you aren't. Really. It's THE BLOAT! Yes, you may have had a couple of kids already, and yes, odds are in your favor that you will show a tad bit earlier this time, but really, you're not showing right now. You're just bloated. I promise. Or it could be the ever beautiful sounding 'bowel distention'. Now there's a nice visual.

How can I say that? Well, at this point in the game (7wks for me), my baby is roughly the size of a raspberry. Can't blame that for a few extra inches on the waist!
The uterus, bless it for it's willingness to stretch to a freakish capacity and still be willing to return to normal size again, is still tucked away neatly in my pelvis, where it will stay for another month or so (typically until about 12wks-unless you're carrying more than one kiddo in there, in which case very few normal rules apply anyway). Though it's approaching the size of a grapefruit, it's still not that big yet. So yes, all of my insides are probably prepped and ready to shift, but nothing's going anywhere for now! It may all be voicing it's displeasure and discomfort at the continuous hormone cocktail created by that little speck of an embryo, but it has yet to give up it's normal place.

This is a good thing.

For me this means that in a few weeks when The Bloat is willing to subside, I get some weeks of comfort before any actual growing begins. It means that I don't have to part with my pants for quite a while still.

It means that when my husband looks at me as I'm groaning in discomfort and extreme nausea and says "WOW! You look 5 months pregnant!", I can nod in agreement and answer with, "I know, you should have seen me last night. It was even worse!" and look forward to waking up the next morning when I get a reprieve from the bloating for the first half of the day.

It means that I should be able to keep this pregnancy under wraps for hopefully at least another month.
Hey, like I said, I'm one of "those" people.


No comments:

Post a Comment