Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sam's first official race


For obvious reasons my race schedule this year is pretty much zero. When the 1/2 in March got bagged due to being thoroughly entrenched in morning sickness (still) I was bummed. Then life came crashing down 5 days later so that really didn't matter anymore. There's a nice dose of perspective for you, huh?

Since I'm (already?!) getting to the point where I can't guarantee that my veins won't be trying to burst from my skin, my knee won't totally let go, that I won't wet myself or that my sciatic nerve might actually behave, scheduling any race at this point is iffy. Don't get me wrong, I'm still eyeing a handful of 5 and 10k's in the next two months.... (shh....don't tell my husband....)

While I am all about getting my run fix on a daily basis while it's still possible, it is different when you are running for something other than to just run. It's nice. It's motivating.

I've found that virtual races offer a nice fix for me. And for the typical steep entry fee for even short races anymore.

The latest was the 5/5 5K hosted by a runner whose blog I follow.

So I signed up. And signed Sam up too.



He was coming along for the run anyway, but hey, the kid believes in a good cause (this was for donations to marathon for the cure) so we made it official.

This looks like pre-race belly mug shots or something.



Yes-those are his actual feet on his race bib. I love baby feet. Ultrasound feet pictures are to die for. And yes I made him a race bib. Take that.


Number 8-since he is of course our number 8, and 169 for me, as today I am 169 days pregnant.

What I lack in creativity I make up for with......uh.....something else I hope.

I love running against just me-not worrying about anyone else around me-but still hoping to push myself.

And it was a beautiful day for a run!

Since this is a "pick your own course" run, I chose to start at Unity Pass and run home across the valley. Even the antelope were out for a while, which is always fun to see while out on the path.


Also, I learned that apparently the effort of trying to take a picture of myself mid-run using my phone must send my brain into overload.

Do you see that vein? It looks like it's going to explode right out the middle of my forehead. Nice.

Note to self: photos of surroundings while running, fine. Photos of self while running, uh, no.

Out of focus and sweaty, but still smiling.

The official finish time: 30min 22 seconds.
That sounds SO slow to me for a 5k, but I'm totally pulling the pregnancy card on this one. And since it's under 10min/mi, I'll live with it.
Average of 9:49/mi, though I did apparently find a burst of energy in there somewhere as the good old Garmin says I topped out at 7:50 at some point. Go me! er, Go us!

It's a little bittersweet to think that Sam might never race along side me, but I sure love that for now he is running with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment